How to Make Cake Pops Out of Leftover Cake
What is a cake pop?
A cake pop is a dessert made from cake and icing, dipped in a chocolate or candy melt coating. The same recipe can be used for cake balls as well, just without the stick.
Why make cake pops?
Cake pops are more affordable if you make them yourself. Cake pops and cake balls are available at most coffee shops but they can cost more than $2.50 each. In addition, they are fun to make and a great way to use leftover cake or cupcakes.
Cake Pop Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1 cupcake
- 2 Tbsp of icing
- Lollipop sticks
- Chocolate candy melts
- Canola oil
- Small sprinkles
- Styrofoam plank
About the Ingredients:
Cupcake – You can make cake pops out of leftover cake or leftover cupcakes. This is a great way to avoid food waste. It’s fun to make with a group by making the mix together and baking the cupcakes together. You can also make cupcakes ahead and freeze them. In addition, I have also purchased cupcakes without icing from the local grocery store.
Icing – Regular icing in the tub makes an easy solution. Plain white icing or vanilla flavored icing works well. If you are using a leftover cupcake, scrape the icing off of the top, and save it to use for the cake pop. Most cupcakes will have too much icing for the cake pops.
Chocolate Candy Melts – I usually find them at Hobby Lobby or Walmart. Get one or 2 colors of candy melts, or get the white and add food coloring. Chocolate chips can also be used instead.
Canola Oil – Can be replaced with avocado oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil depending on what you have on hand.
Small Sprinkles – this is key, the smaller the better. Heavy, large sprinkles do no look as good on a cake pop as small more delicate sprinkles.
About the Supplies:
Lollipop sticks – The sticks can be ordered on Amazon or purchased at a craft store like Hobby Lobby. You can also skip the sticks altogether if you want to make cake balls instead of cake pops.
Styrofoam Plank – I have used a plastic ‘cake pop’ drying stand, but I honestly have to tell you that the styrofoam works best. As a pro tip, save the foam from a package that you get in the mail or purchase a block from the craft store.
The Secret to the Success using the Styrofoam:
1. Make sure it is at least 2 inches thick
2. Tape it down to the table with duct tape so that it is stable.
3. Cover the foam with clear wrap like Press-n-Seal.
4. Use a skewer to poke holes in the foam where you want the pops to fit. This is the most important part because once the sticks have the cake pop on it, it is too delicate to poke a hole into the foam.
Directions: How to Make Cake Pops
- Break up the leftover cake (without icing) or cupcake in a bowl with your fingers until it is finely crumbled.
- Mix in 2 Tbsp of icing until well blended.
- Form small 2-3 small balls evenly rounded.
- Melt a small amount of chocolate candy melts in the microwave for 45 seconds, stirring in between until smooth.
- Dip the lollipop sticks in chocolate and put the stick half way through the center of the ball.
- Place the pops in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate candy melts.
- Mix in canola oil to loosen the chocolate candy melts.
- Using the lollipop stick, dip the cake pops carefully in the chocolate candy melts. Do not leave them in for too long or they will melt and fall off the stick.
- Carefully place the stick in the Styrofoam plank and add sprinkles. It may make it easier to tape the styrofoam to the table.
- Let the cake pops air dry for 5 minutes until the chocolate candy melts harden.